Friday, March 22, 2013

Be Silent

Exodus 14:14 - "The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to be silent."

First of all, lets just say the word Exodus again. What a beautiful word: Exodus, Exodus. Thrill came over me when I turned my bible page from the last chapter of Genesis and read the big bold letters stringing together. The E stands boldly at the beginning introducing that little x, which never gets enough show time in the alphabet, but it's a bold letter. It nearly takes over the entire word it's entangled in. I love it.
Exodus- A going out; a departure or emigration.
Yeah, that's it. A departure. An Exodus. We started here in this world with an exodus, and we will end here in this broken world with an exodus.
We were thrown out of the way things should be, should have been, will be. And we will depart from here in this broken place into what the LORD has meant it to be. An exodus almost defines the lives of humanity from beginning to end(ish); after all, with the LORD there is no end.

The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.

That is not an easy thing. I am daily trying to fight for myself. I am daily trying to plan, and seek, and fight, and know. I have grown weary of this thing that I didn't even know defined a large portion of my life until a wise person told me to perhaps take a break from those things until Easter. This is why we have things like Sabbath. Teak a break. Be silent and LET the LORD fight for you.
Oh, oh what a rest that is to fall into. To know that the God of the world fights for me, and I have only to be silent.
When I read the Old Testament I have found I'm reading it as if God were a different God back then. He must have been more harsh, and was more distant, he asked different things of us than he did after Christ came. Almost as an Earthly father has a new tenderness and vision of life and others after he has a child of his own. But I am mistaken. God is God. He was always the same God and always will be.
He fought for us, and fights for us. He heard the cries of the people of Israel, He hears the cries of our own hearts.
Exodus 2:25 - God saw the people of Israel- and and God knew.
God sees us, and He knows.
God repeats over and over and over again to Moses in Exodus 3, "I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob."
He still is.
Every time Moses doubts himself God repeats, "I am the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob."
He's saying, "Do not doubt yourself with Me by your side. Look and listen to who I AM."

The LORD will fight for you, and you have only to be silent.