Monday, March 25, 2013

Plan Plan Plan

My upbringing taught me that I should love what I do. "Do what you love and you'll never have to go to work", my mom always told me.  I think Mark Twain originally said something similar, but my mom is where I learned it from. So I did.
I didn't go to college, I went to Scotland. I didn't stay put and get grounded, I traveled. I didn't get a career and start saving up for this and that, I hopped around from bakery to coffee shop to grocery store and loved every one of them.
Suddenly, though, I have found myself in an entirely new way of thinking. It's a little scary. I never knew this side of me was so strong. In my travels I am laid back, go-with-the-flow. I don't worry until I have to cross the bridge of worry (and yes, I have, many a time. Big and boldly, with a lot of tears). Now I am almost turning Type A. *Gasp!*. Okay, I don't think I'll actually EVER be Type A even if I wanted to, but the path I am currently down closely hugs that Type A side.
Plan plan plan. What will I do today? At this time I'll go running for this long, after that I will do pilates for ten minutes, then I will eat this for lunch, and do that, and by this time I should get ready for work. Then I will have thirty minutes left until I must leave for work. I leave for work always a half hour early even though it only takes me about 12 minutes to get there, but I've got to make sure I'm ready for traffic or what not, right?
I found a bit of a freedom in planning things once I settled into moving to Wheaton. It made me feel put together and prepared. I liked it. But something happens when I start to like something... I obsess.  Not exactly obsess, but I put a LOT of my energy into that thing. All or nothing: this describes me. So freedom is, in fact, a very fine line for me.
After I caught myself trying to look up what I will be doing a year from now and start planning ahead for that thing right now, I took a deep breath, shut my computer, and put myself to bed. I know some people do plan ahead for a year or even five years from now. That's great. Some people can do that. Generally those some people are people who already have a bit more of a normal life path they are on. I do not. This summer where will I be? I don't know. Plan plan plan!
STOP.
Stop stop stop. Actually, I am driving myself crazy in the head. Where once I found a fullness in my life of laying back and trusting that God will work and protect, I have replaced with a self-propelled extreme "what-if" state of mind.
The trouble comes not when I have to find my way back to that Sarah who is laid back and takes on life. I know her, I can be her again pretty easily. The trouble comes when I find I must balance the two extreme sides of myself into something healthy.
Today I woke up and immediately started setting appointments, and planning on going to the gym, and then coming back to work on some stuff at a coffee shop, and the list goes on. I was starting to make breakfast and I wasn't even hungry yet! That's where I draw the line. That's where my mental state has finally manifested itself into the physical. I'm supposed to eat breakfast when I wake up so I should do it now? No. I stopped myself, put the yogurt back in the fridge, and sat down to drink coffee and write. I will wait to do what I'm supposed to do until it feels right. I will wait to eat until I am hungry. I will wait on the Lord until he directs me.
Resting in the balance is tough.

I wish I had more to write about then all of this self reflective stuff.
As is life in my twenties, right?

Also, it's snowing.