Monday, March 25, 2013

I am homeless

Written while I was living out my car two summers ago:



I am homeless. Homelessness in ways seemed so romantic to me. It’s simple and I’m all for simplicity in every way. Homelessness is not simple. Sleeping through the night without waking up is an almost impossible task. Having everything I own in my car, no matter how organized it starts, gets messy, dirty, and actually really gross. Every morning I wake up in a nice pool of sweat after the sun shines on my car for just enough time to create and awesome greenhouse effect. I’m going to start growing plants out of my head soon; I’ve got just the right amount of water coming out of me to keep them hydrated. My bread is smooshed, my butter is melting over everything. It takes twice as long to make breakfast in the morning, and twice as long to find a place to park and sleep for the night. Being sick and homeless is one of the most lonely things I’ve ever gone through. No one to take care of me, and not a comfortable place around to lay my head. My car gets smelly, trash piles up, and I get genuinely tired. I used to run miles and miles after a good night’s rest, and now I can sleep hours and hours after a single mile run. It’s exhausting. It’s not romantic. It’s a bit lonely. Time consuming, yet I seem to have more time than I know what to do with sometimes. A strange paradox. 

However, it makes me take life slow. Important things are different and simple things make me more joyful. I take life slower, one day at a time, and enjoy the time that I do have.  I enjoy the alone time I get twice as much, and I enjoy the friend time that I get three times as much. I supposes there is a good and a bad no matter which way you choose to live life. There are stresses and joys abounding in different ways. 
What way do you choose to live yours?