Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The road is not always fun and games

I did. I pulled over last night numerous times, calling my dad in tears to check the weather again... and again... and again... and...
There is something eerie about the sun setting where you can't see it. The only thing I could see was the glow it gave the cumulus clouds that sparked with a flash of lightning off to my left. The roads became scarce after entering I-76. There were only rolling hills and highway in the distance. No tail lights ahead of me, no headlights behind me. Deserted exits from the highway were few and far between. The rain was loud. My car was being whipped around by the wind, and every once in awhile I'd hydroplane a little bit sending a shock wave of terror through my veins. Totally. alone.
A wet night on the highway is no place for tired eyes. When the storm finally passed me I pulled off at the next Walmart I found and marched into civilization to buy a snack and a redbox movie. Parking off in a tucked away corner, I situated myself in my car and let the glow of a lighthearted movie on my laptop finally lull me to sleep in my little Abigail Von Wedge. And I sort of loved it...