Monday, November 4, 2013

Downton Abbey, where are you?

I fought for a long time the fads of the boob tube. After watching way too much of it as a kid, and then realizing how darn nice it was not to have a TV around I sort of decided the the thing was just evil. The more time I spend away from it the stupider it seems to get.
But we all fall into the clutches of evil sometimes, don't we? LOST: evil. Totally evil. I hated that show before I even knew what it was about. And then it grabbed me by the face and sucked me in. Once I started watching Gilmore Girls from the beginning I didn't want to stop. WOULD Lorelei end up with Luke? What was Rory going to do after College? Drama in Stars Hollow too juicy to pass. Especially on cold winter nights tucked away in a cozy mountain home.
And then came Downton Abbey.  Is it Downtown Abbey? Or was it Downton? And what is a downton? Who is Abbey, anyway? And why the heck does EVERYONE watch it and care so much about the happenings of a certain place in England in the early 1900s. It's silly, really: wasting your time on a show that means nothing to your life.
Until my sister convinced me to watch just the first episode since it was there. I sat down to Netflix with a snack at hand planning to shut it off and watch something else in about ten minutes time, when in about nine minutes time I found myself enthralled. And doomed. One month later I released myself from the grasp of Downton Abbey and finished watching every available episode. Instead of thinking about watching it, I find myself just thinking about it. What am I thinking about so often? And why do I like it so much?
Geez.
Will someone tell me when Downton Abbey starts back up again in the States?
I got the first two episodes of this new season about a month ago from someone who downloaded it from the British folks himself. I need more. More more more.