Thursday, October 21, 2010

the flavor of sadness

Feeling too much. Why can I only write when I'm sad?
Because I must justify my sadness.
The world says sadness is a bad thing. We have medications for sadness, and we aren't taught how to truly deal with sadness.
We're taught that there must be something that needs fixing. In a way it makes sense; sadness doesn't feel good. Does it?

What if it's not about fixing?
What if it's about processing and learning.
FEELING.
There are many kinds of sadness. I can't speak for them all, but I've felt sadness in very deep, raw, and hear-throbbing ways.
I've felt the sadness of mourning and the sadness of loss. Sadness of change, fear, hurt, rejection. Sadness from a movie. Sadness bleeding from another sad soul. Sadness that's made me gasp for breath from crying so deeply within myself.
When I feel sadness I
really
feel
sadness.
It cuts me. It's hard.
And,
it's beautiful.
Sadness takes me on a journey within myself, and there really is no greater place to be. No more of an exciting place to travel but within the confides of ones own soul.
Learning to Grieve.
Learning to feel what you're feeling when it hurts your insides so badly. Even when all you want is not to feel that way anymore.
It's pain, but I've learned it to be a comfortable pain, and take comfort in my tears.
The taste of tears on my lips is one of the greatest flavors of life.
It declares that. I. feel.
It declares that. I. am. alive.

Greater sadness makes for an even greater joy. Greater growth. Greater strength.
Even now in feelings of happiness I look back on my saddest moments, and saddest seasons in life and I feel a nostalgic tug on my heart for those days. It brings me a new kind of joy.
Sadness is not a weakness. It's a very special, and personal journey. There are things you discover in sadness that which are impossible to find otherwise. These are rare, delicate discoveries.
I encourage everyone to feel your sadness. Know your sadness. Grieve it, and journey with it.
There is no such thing as feeling too much; being too sensitive.
Our feelings and emotions are a truly beautiful gift from God. Get to know each and every one.