Thursday, January 27, 2011

I am auntie Sarah

I am an auntie.

My beautiful sister and wonderful brother-in-law got to give birth to their little Jonan Eilam Pelletier last night.
We found out two weeks ago about complications with Jonan and his life inside Kimberly's belly. He had amniotic band syndrom in which bands from the amniotic fluid wrap themselves around parts of him, and cause complications. In Jonan's situation, he was not compatible with life outside of the womb. Kimberly and Jeff love him all the same, and took wonderful care of Jonan for his short life inside Kimberly.
At 22 weeks, Jonan passed away in Kimberly's belly. Last night she birthed him. We all got to hold Jonan's little body, touch his perfect legs, and see how much of an amazing little person he is.
There was a deep sadness, and an abounding joy covering the entire day. I don't think anyone knew how to put those feelings together, but Kimberly and Jeff were the light and inspiration of the entire day. Every time we walked into the hospital room to see them a sense of comfort fill the air. Kimberly and Jeff are incredible, and I have no other words.
They are Jonan's parents, and they will be forever. There was a great sense of that when Kimberly and Jeff were sitting next to each other, holding their first born. It was beautiful. She marveled at how perfect his feet were.
I held Jonan's half pound body in my hands and cried over him, over how I miss the life I will not know, cried for Kimberly and Jeff, but also cried for how glad I was that he was here. I felt his teeny bottom in my hands and I wanted to hug his gentle body. 

There was a moment in the waiting room where our family was sitting in mourning while Kimberly was going through her first set inducing medications. Another family was sitting joyful next to us. A man entered the room, they all stood up, "It's a boy!" he said, and the family stood up with exclamation! There was crying, there was hugging. The boy's name is Liam, and he's a big baby with a full dark head of beautiful hair. Soon after there were phone calls saying, "I'm a grandma!" and laughter filled stories about other children in the family. Such a touching moment for them, and so emotional for our family on this day.

However, there could not have been a more perfect moment when we crowded in to see Kimberly, Jeff, and Jonan after he was here. There was emotion, and a sense of God's presence everywhere. Jonan is real. Jonan is probably hearing stories about his momma from his Great Gramdpa Bob in paradise.
Jonan was born into heaven on January 24, 2011. He's my first nephew, and he has already changed the lives of more people than I have probably touched in my 22 years here on Earth. What and amazing little kid. I'm sure God is happy to have him at His side in Heaven.
Jonan's name means "God is a gracious giver", and although there is much sadness with Jonan's story... there is joy to outlast it all because of his life. This is not about a sad story, this is about a very real life, and a life to be very happy about.
I thank God for such a wonderful gift to the world.