Thursday, February 24, 2011

Always... I mean... Never ride with strangers

Whenever I'm in an absolute blissful time in life, I know that a year from that moment I'll be looking back with deep nostalgia with my head in the clouds... "a year ago today..." I'll think. I know, I know- I must live in these precious moments that are now, or else I won't have the joy of wonderful memories.. blah blah blah.
I do know that, and I am continually learning how to take captive these moments of now. But last night I was thinking of all the adventures I've had because I'd been gutsy (maybe stupid), trusting my wonderful God, and... not having a car.
It's been over a year, with the exception of a couple of months, of not having a car. Last January after the long haul from Seattle to Chicago in 40 straight hours, my car was stolen in Chicago with almost everything I owned in it. Of course I cried, that sucks! But two days later I was laughing while I packed my remaining belongings into my adventure pack. No, I did not go mad after my car was stolen. The hilarity was that it was a blessing.
Three days before I walked up to an empty spot in the road (the place where my car was violated and then passed into another life.. poor mary-jane) I was packing it up telling my dad, "How did I get so much stuff? I wish I could get rid of it all and fit everything into a backpack, but there's just certain things you can't get ride of." Unless of course one parks her car on Hazel and Wilson downtown Chicago.
Thus began my trek across the country, again, but this time with mostly strangers.

I've told the story of my car ride with that psychotic woman from Denver to Fresno (emphasis on the "no"... meaning, "no, don't ever go there"), however, all in all it was a blessing to have her graciously give me a ride, and I have a lot of fun telling that story. Just don't ask me to tell it in person. Oral story-telling is not my strong suit.
Two months later, after living in San Luis Obispo for awhile, learning how to make all kinds of food from scratch, seeing a new kind of community, learning that the sun shining every damn day is really a terrible curse, and enjoying everyone in that hostel so very much, (and inventing nackers), it was time for Aaron to come visit me in California and whisk me away to Branson. But I desperately wanted to go pick him up at LAX. The problem was that I was about three hours north of there.

As always, craigslist to the rescue. In California there is not a shortage of laid back people to offer a seat in their car. In this case from SLO to LA Jeremy would offer his seat to me free of charge and I would talk his ear off of my travels as we drove down beautiful highway 101. Jeremy was on his way to a work conference and offers rides on craigslist now and then because he enjoys helping people out. Like most people share with me when I've caught rides, Jeremy told me, "I'd rather it be me giving someone a ride than let someone who might want to cause harm give a ride." A noble cause. Much appreciated.
Jeremy picked me up right at Hostel Obispo, and when we neared Santa Monica he felt compelled to help me out. He asked if I had enough to eat for the next couple of days (knowing I was totally broke), and said that if I couldn't get a ride to the airport the next day to call him. When we finally got to Santa Monica Jeremy took me to lunch for some gyros. Afterward he dropped me off at my Santa Monica hostel, got my pack out of the trunk for me, he handed me $20. Blessing after blessing.
"I can't take this from you. You've already helped me plenty!" I told him.
"Please. I'd really like for you to take it. It's a lot more to you than it is to me right now. Please."
So I took it with a huge smile and a lot of gratitude. I went to check in to my hostel wondering if this experience was really more helpful to me, or to Jeremy. He shared with me that he was very inspired by my stories and where I had gone, what I had done. I am continually inspired by the hearts and the generosity of humanity. It's part of the reason I love taking the risks I do.
Really, it helps me love Jesus even more. I get to see a small portion of what He sees in us.
________________________

On a side note: let this be a lesson to you... rid yourself of mary-jane!
Hehehe... Just kidding.
I named my car mary-jane out of complete naivety, by the way.
The end.