Saturday, March 5, 2011

fell to sleep, and fell to peace

This morning I woke up with an overwhelming peace.
I lay in bed last night with a sudden urgency to pray. There was a sense of uneasy spirits in the air around me, and I prayed to be protected in my heart, mind, spirit, and body. It's been a long time since I've had that uneasy feeling, but it has happened often, and I do believe that our spirits are so vulnerable when we sleep. Nightmares used to terror me since I was just a little girl.
My sleep had been very peaceful for so long... until this moment last night. And then I prayed. I prayed for sweet dreams sent from God Himself.
I'll be honest, dark dreams have occurred so often that there was a tinge of faithlessness about God actually protecting my dreams last night. But as I fell into my sleep I was met with a fantastical dream where I was standing inside an airplane flying over the Earth. Not just any airplane though, a skydiving airplane. I was so calm here in this place. I didn't know what to do, but I felt the need to jump so I did. When I jumped the leap sent me into such a peaceful soar through the sky where I remember seeing such beauty surrounding me. There was no heart racing adrenalin or anything. I smiled and took as much in as I could in this short moment.
As I neared the ground I remember not knowing if I had a parachute on, but I trusted that the Lord would guide me even though I was just the slightest bit fearful. When I found the parachute I didn't know how to land, but knew to trust my instincts and do what came naturally as I landed so quickly on the green grass of the Earth.
I remember smiling so big, wishing I could do it all over again because of how peaceful it was, and I didn't quite get to see enough of the beauty that was everywhere. It was such a comfortable, and new place as I was free falling through the air.
A crowd of people ran up to me asking me all these questions about it thinking, of course, that it was like any other skydiving experience you'd expect. I explained that it wasn't at all like a normal experience. It wasn't all what they thought. This was different. What I had done was wonderful.
Whatever I had experienced up there put a very, very deep peace about me. And peace is the only word I have because of its overwhelming hugeness in my dream. The peace was not ending there at my landing, but just beginning.
What a wonderful feeling to wake up to. What a wonderful God to protect my sleeping vulnerability and gift me with such great things.